Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Unique, different, odd ect.

This past Sunday I was at home for the thanksgiving holiday. We talked about how we as Christians are called to be different. My bible class teacher asked us, "Do we like to be called different or unique in a general sense?" Every single person in class said no. I was like, but why not? I didn't understand why no one wanted be called different. Then I thought back to a few years ago. To a time before I was in  college.

I have always been different. I like things that are a little different from things that people my age don't really like. I know that I am different. But I think back to a time, and even sometimes now to when I didn't think that I was different. Or I just didn't want to be different. I wanted everyone to think I was just like them. I didn't want to stand out. I wanted everyone to like me. I struggled with my self image and I just wanted to fit in.

I spent a long time hiding some of of my qualities. I spent a lot of time hiding things that make me, me. It took me a long time to embrace what is different about me. My likes and dislikes and what I like to do and how I act and how I talk may make me different from everyone else. But I shouldn't be afraid or ashamed of that. I need to embrace that. I shouldn't waste time hiding it I should flaunt it. I am me. I am never going to change who I am. I will never be able to make me something that I wasn't meant to be. And why would I want to be something that I'm not?

We should all flaunt what is different about us. (Myself included) I know that I am better about that now than I ever have been before. I am learning to embrace my weirdness because I have tried so hard to accept my imperfections. I struggled so much to please everyone but myself for so long. I spent some time being so unhappy with my life and all the things that were happening in it. Don't apologize for being yourself. Be you and find the people that accept that about you instead of changing just so someone will like you.

Sometimes I still don't like myself. Sometimes I still get frustrated that I am different. Sometimes I do not like for someone to point out how different I am. But I am working to get better about it little by little. I read this quote one day and I don't remember who said it but it is very appropriate "Be weird, be random, be who you are"

Be happy. Be you. No one else can do you like you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment