Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My Christmas

There are no words to adequately describe the Christmas I have had. First of all, I got everything I wanted for Christmas and so much more. The older I get the more I realize how non important gifts are. The most important thing is having time to spend with family and friends.

Every christmas eve, we always spend the day with my faternal grandparents. My grandpa's birthday is on christmas. He turned 70 years old this year. I know and I am very thankful for every christmas I get to spend with him. He is one of the best I know. Since he shares a birthday with our savior he is often forgotten on his birthday, which is something he has never minded. Last night we had him a surprise birthday at our big family gathering. I can say, in all of my 19 years I don't think I have ever seen him so excited. He was grinning from ear to ear with all the attention he got. And it made my heart very happy to see him in such a state.

My grandpa is a very quite man. He doesn't say much. I have NEVER heard him sing, hum a tune, or anything. It is always a tradition for us to sing Silent night holding hands around the room. I stood next to my grandpa and held his hand and for the first time ever, I heard him sing Silent Night. I heard him sing it, I saw him smile, and I felt him squeeze my hand. There is nothing more powerful than that. I didn't quite know how to handle myself. I guess for normal grandpas this may be normal. But for my poor grandpa who is suffering with dementia and effects of a long life in the service, there is nothing in this world that means more to me.

There are days when he is not himself. There are days when I see the old grandpa there. Sometimes it truly breaks every little piece of my heart. I love my grandpa and he has always been one of my favorite people I know. And nights that I hear him sing are few and far between. I love that man with all my heart and I am so glad that nights like that happen. Ill always have those memories to cling to for as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment